Thank you David and Jerome.

I used my Linux operating system's Unetbootin to create the FreeDOS USB
installer.

It failed to boot. So I logged back in to my Linux, created a boot flag for
the USB flash drive using GParted.

It booted.

There was a blue screen and I had only "Default" to choose from.  Or I had
to press tab for more options. I chose default, no options about what
partition to install into, but it
installed without problems, although it took awhile, maybe 20 minutes.

I logged back in to the Linux OS, executed this in terminal:

sudo update-grub

FreeDOS did not appear as one of the operating systems to choose from.

I opened GParted and saw that the 1GB (that's one GB) fat32 partition of
the hard drive was empty (only 1.03MB was used).  File Manager also shows
that the fat32 partition was empty.

So where did FreeDOS installed to? Did it even install at all?

Thank you for your time!