Hi kaye

I may have missed it, but why are you installing on actual PC hardware? Why
not install FreeDOS in a PC emulator? Then you can run FreeDOS and Linux at
the same time. It's very easy.

You're running Linux, so you probably have QEMU already installed as part
of your distribution. If you use GNOME, you may also have GNOME Boxes
(which uses QEMU on the back end, anyway). You can also download and
install VirtualBox, and use that to install and run FreeDOS.

I wrote an article for OpenSource.com a few years ago, describing how to
install and run FreeDOS on Linux using QEMU. You can find it here:
https://opensource.com/article/17/10/run-dos-applications-linux

Note that you define the virtual machine environment (the PC emulator)
using options on the QEMU command line. So the command line can be very
long, because you will want to specify the CDROM image, the hard drive
image, the VGA card, and so on. But it's very simple. I put all of that in
a script so I don't have to type it all the time.

Even though you start QEMU from a command line, you are doing this under
the graphical desktop environment - probably GNOME or KDE on most modern
Linux distributions. (I use GNOME.)

If you prefer a graphical environment, you can use VirtualBox. There's a
very nice "how to" guide on the FreeDOS Wiki that describes how to do this:
http://wiki.freedos.org/wiki/index.php/VirtualBox

Jim