Hi,

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 3:13 AM Random Liegh via Freedos-user
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> I just spotted this on reddit and thought someone here might appreciate it:
>
> https://github.com/nanochess/tinyasm/
>
> Brand spanking new, targets the 8088. It can be built with desmet-c, but
> there's a precompiled binary included in the github repository.

30 kb .EXE? Interesting.

Ah, Oscar Toledo! A true genius. "Save a hard drive today!" (Memorable
quote that always makes me laugh.) I hope his family is well and
healthy.

"Unfortunately, nasm doesn't run over 8086/8088 processors,and I
couldn't find a compatible assembler!"

Strange. I was lightly playing with 8086tinyplus (on Windows)
recently, and I noticed that the (in)famous 16-bit NASM build from
2005 of 0.98.39 didn't seem to run properly. (But that could be an
emulator bug. It runs fine under QEMU. I know 8086tinyplus can't
handle 186+ ENTER/LEAVE properly.) Even other NASM versions had
issues. (A86 and Wolfware/WASM worked fine, though.) Actually, I think
I ran my old BARE_DOS floppy and used "call /s", and then at least
NASM 0.97 worked. I meant to try to recompile NASM 0.98.39 with both
Turbo C and OpenWatcom (supporting bin only or bin+obj only) and test,
but I never found the extra time and energy.

* https://jaybertsoftware.weebly.com/8086-tiny-plus.html
*
https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/devel/asm/nasm/0.98.39/

Comments on further testing welcome!