On at 2019-10-05 18:49 -0500, Rugxulo wrote:
> "Unfortunately, nasm doesn't run over 8086/8088 processors,and I
> couldn't find a compatible assembler!"
>
> Strange. I was lightly playing with 8086tinyplus (on Windows)
> recently, and I noticed that the (in)famous 16-bit NASM build from
> 2005 of 0.98.39 didn't seem to run properly. (But that could be an
> emulator bug. It runs fine under QEMU. I know 8086tinyplus can't
> handle 186+ ENTER/LEAVE properly.)

If the 16-bit NASM uses 186+ instructions, that's a bug (or possibly
wrong option?) on the part of the compiler.

I also worked some on an 8086tiny fork of mine recently. There are
several bugfixes there, as well as implementing all 186 instructions, so
it might be worth testing. It's at https://github.com/ecm-pushbx/8086tiny/

> Even other NASM versions had
> issues. (A86 and Wolfware/WASM worked fine, though.) Actually, I think
> I ran my old BARE_DOS floppy and used "call /s", and then at least
> NASM 0.97 worked. I meant to try to recompile NASM 0.98.39 with both
> Turbo C and OpenWatcom (supporting bin only or bin+obj only) and test,
> but I never found the extra time and energy.
>
> * https://jaybertsoftware.weebly.com/8086-tiny-plus.html
> *
> https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/devel/asm/nasm/0.98.39/
>
> Comments on further testing welcome!