Hi,

> On Jul 18, 2021, at 5:47 PM, Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 4:39 PM Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
>> [..]
>> There was a link, sent by Jim earlier today, when the meeting had
>> just started. Maybe it could better have been sent an hour before,
>> and not only on freedos-devel, but also on the larger freedos-user:
>>
> [..]
>

> I meant to send a note about an hour earlier. I think I said last time
> that I would. But the morning kind of got away from me, and I didn't
> get time.
>
> In addition to the email lists, the announcement and reminders were
> also posted on the website (big yellow announcement box) and on
> Twitter and Facebook.
>
> For the August get-together, I'll share the URL in the reminders in
> the week leading up to the meetup.
>
> Jim

Just a thought….

You could put a little index.php code somewhere. Like maybe under
https://freedos.org/get-together <https://freedos.org/get-together>. This could
tell the browser not to cache the page created and start automatically
refreshing itself once a minute about 10 minutes or so before a meeting. Then
at some point, when you turn on that big yellow box, the php page redirects
users to the correct url until the meetings is over. During all other times, it
could just say something like “waiting for Jim to start the get-together… in
about 43,200 minutes (aka 1 month).”  Then if it gets to be a couple minutes
past the scheduled time, it could even say things like “It appears that Jim is
running a little late. But, he will be here soon…”

Then, you could always just share the same link for newcomers. For frequent
attendees, they could just jump to that page and wait for it to start. Oh, you
can even have it stop redirecting people around noon automatically.

All pretty simple stuff in php. However if you want a live count down clock,
you’ll want a little java.

Anyhow, just a passing thought.

:-)

Jerome