On Sat, Sep 3, 2022 at 7:03 AM <w...@wondersoft.de> wrote:

> I really want to have minimal sound, beeps would be enough for some
> software.
>
> But i tried all settings in virtualbox and get no sound.
>
> Is it a correct assumption to configure soundblaster on each (freedos
> and virtualbox) and you should hear sound?
> My mainboard is a ASUSZ690M-PLUS D4 and of course the host has working
> sound.
>
> Can you give hints? Perhaps someone solved this problem and can give
> advice?

VirtualBox can emulate a SoundBlaster16, but does not emulate the PC
Speaker. So you won't hear beeps, since those are produced by the
internal PC Speaker and not through SoundBlaster. This is a limitation
with VirtualBox.

I use VirtualBox to boot FreeDOS on my Linux system. But if I need PC
Speaker output (such as standard DOS "beeps" and other monotones) then
I have to boot FreeDOS in QEMU, which can emulate the PC Speaker.

Jim