On Sat, Sep 3, 2022 at 7:30 AM <w...@wondersoft.de> wrote:

> Hi Joao.
> The most important is speed for a simulation. Then comes sound in
> priority, but is important also.
> What does mean " support only soundblaster"? I know i can configure it
> under virtualbox, but i have no real soundblaster, thats why i wrote
> what mainboard i have, with its soundchip.Would it be possible to buy a
> Soundblaster, perhaps an "USB soundblaster device" if it exists, and
> then i would have SB sound under freedos SUPPORTED BY virtualbox?
> Any concrete hint would be appreciated.
> Aim is to achieve to have sound in freedos under virtualbox on this host
> (Windows 10 wit the ASUS Z690)

Hi Wolf,

See my other email.

VirtualBox (like any virtualization) provides a layer of abstraction
between the "guest" and the "host." The host is the operating system
where you run VirtualBox, the guest is the operating system you run
inside VirtualBox. In your case, the host is Windows and the guest is
FreeDOS.

VirtualBox has to emulate any hardware presented to the guest. That's
how the guest can "see" a hard drive that only it can use, because
VirtualBox has presented a virtual hard drive for it to use. Same for
the other hardware on the system, including sound devices. If
VirtualBox doesn't emulate some part of the hardware (such as the PC
Speaker) then it's as if that hardware doesn't exist for the guest. It
doesn't matter what the host has, it's all about what VirtualBox
emulates for the guest.

VirtualBox emulates a SoundBlaster16, so you can play games like Doom
(and a bunch of others) that use the SB16 for sound. To over-simplify,
VirtualBox emulates the SoundBlaster16 by "translating" the sound
waves that would have gone to the SB16 and playing them back on the
host's native sound system.

Unfortunately, VirtualBox does not emulate the PC Speaker. To be
clear, the PC Speaker was a special piece of hardware that used to be
included on early PC motherboards. The "PC Speaker" here doesn't mean
the speakers connected to your computer; the "PC Speaker" refers to
the internal speaker that generated beeps and other monotones. Early
games like Commander Keen also used the PC Speaker to generate sounds.

Short version of that is: VirtualBox emulates a SoundBlaster16 but not
the PC Speaker. So you won't hear "DOS system beeps" when booting
FreeDOS or any DOS under VirtualBox. Because VirtualBox doesn't
support it.

Jim