On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 15:46:44 -0400
dmccunney <dennis.mccun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do have a Unix machine which has an experimental capability to
> unload drivers, but it was experimental.  Nowadays, the efforts are to
> have things loaded in user space, and unloadable if you no longer need
> what they do.

Linux has been able to unload drivers (rmmod or modprobe -r) as far as
I can remember (the 2.0.x days at least). Linux drivers are most
definitely not in userspace unless it's a FUSE filesystem driver. There
is even a system service that automatically unloads kernel modules that
are unused after a while. FreeBSD also has a kldunload command. The
drivers are not in userspace either. In DOS it's up to the driver to
provide the unloading functionality. Ethernet packet drivers typically
can. I know Realtek and 3com drivers can because I made myself a batch
script to turn the network on and off in which I unload the packet
drivers to free some RAM. I think mTCP drivers can be unloaded as well.

---
WWW: https://metalpunks.info
GPG: C90CAB7122AC1231