Hi!

I load drivers for SoundBlaster AWE64 by means of putting CTMM.SYS, CTSB16.SYS and CTCU.EXE in DEVICE= parameters in FDCONFIG.SYS. However, that leaves me with 570KB free. I know that I can free some of that memory if only I can unload the drivers once the card is configured. I need to have 600KB free in order to start some very strange games, like Wolf. No, not Wolfenstein. Wolf https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_(video_game)

A DOS forum thread discussing this online claims that some of
those are only used for software mixing and concludes that you
should get things working with only CTCM and AWEUTIL as well,
so I guess you could test which of the 3 drivers mentioned in
your setup are REALLY needed for your games. Also, you can use
a boot menu to decide at boot time whether or not you want to
load your AWE64 drivers. Then you can select the no-driver boot
style for games such as Wolf which need more free DOS RAM :-)

Also, it seems CTCU /S can be run in autoexec instead of config,
which may be more convenient. CTCM = CreaTive Config Manager,
AWEUTIL = relevant for MIDI emulation for real mode games etc.,
CTMM and CTSB16 might be components which are less necessary.

Best regards, Eric