On Thu, 17 Sep 2015, Jakub Hrozek wrote:
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 03:55:35PM +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
>Speaking as IPA package maitainer in RHEL, I would like to have ticket
>link in every commit in maintenance branches. If a commit goes to the
>master branch only, I'm OK with it not having a ticket link. So that's
>where I would draw the line - if a commit goes into a maintenance branch,
>it is a reasonable piece of work.
Good suggestion, thanks. We actually have the same with Samba -- *any*
backport to released branches requires a new bug to be opened and
mentioned in the commit message.

Seems reasonable for SSSD as well..

Two questions:
   1) If you backport from a non-maintenance branch to a maintenance
      branch, do you also move the ticket? IOW, do you also expect the
      list of changes to be visible in track, or do you only care about
      'auditing' of each commit?
Samba clones the bug. FreeIPA does add a comment with the hashes
referencing the commits.

   2) If another commit (which can be totally unrelated in
      functionality, just touching the same area of code) needs to be
      applied before the one you backport, do you add the ticket URL
      to the prerequisite as well or create a new one?
If you have something else applying to a maintenance branch, just do a
bug for it. If it is a patch for making the backport more manageable for
applying, just have it part of the backport.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy