On 03/04/2016 03:11 PM, Petr Spacek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've updated Feature template to make sure that important the design decisions
> are recorded somewhere.
>
> Of course all this is open for discussion. I did this soon because I believe
> that it is better to actually see how it looks like instead of discussing
> vaporware. Wiki has revert button if necessary, feel free to use it.
>
> New texts:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Feature_template#Design_Assumptions

Looks good to me.

> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Feature_template#Use_Cases

Does not look good to me. Practical examples of how features is used is in How
to Test section, ideally organized by Use Cases, like in
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/User_Certificates#How_to_Test

If we start adding gory details and examples right in Use Cases section, we
would kill the clarity of that section that intends to just give you overview
of the use cases.

I would rather imagine something like

http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Authentication_Indicators#Strong_Authentication_on_Selected_System

which is an impromptu format for the new User Story based approach. The
expectations is that rest of the page will then work with these User
Stories/Use Cases, whether it is Design, How To Test, UI examples or Test Plan.

> I also did one unrelated change:
> Now "Feature Management" chapter precedes "Design" chapter with all the gory
> details. This should make the page more useful for random users who find it
> using a search engine.
>
> Intents:
> 1. Consider usability *very* early in the design process.
> 2. Think about LDAP schema support for UI workflows very early.

These are good intents. However, while I agree with the intents, I am curious
how this is supposed to work, because the CLI/UI often works with the terms
that are being defined in Design.

See for example here:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/User_Certificates#Feature_Management
It already assumes you know some parts of the design, like matching attribute.

Or:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/OTP#Feature_Management
It already assumes you know what OTP token is, what Radius Proxy server is and
how it relates, etc.

> DNS locations proved that UI is a nightmare which is better to think about in
> the very beginning, even before thinking about LDAP schema.
>
> I hope it will help in long term.

While it may make sense to *think* about the interfaces first, why does it also
have to be in the design page as the first thing, given it breaks the natural
and logical flow of the text?