On 03/11/2016 03:00 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Martin Kosek wrote:
On 03/11/2016 09:55 AM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 11.3.2016 09:33, Martin Kosek wrote:
On 03/08/2016 07:07 PM, Martin Basti wrote:

On 08.03.2016 16:37, Martin Basti wrote:

On 08.03.2016 16:31, Martin Basti wrote:

Patch attached.

Rebased patch attached.

self-NACK

Scripts print to CLI unformatted strings, it should not be so easy.
See /var/log/ipaupgrade-{timestamp}.log for more information

second-NACK. We cannot break existing log file paths. The paths are mentioned
in a documentation and there may be also automation around that (gathering log
files). So there should be always symlink from the well known location to the
newest timestampe'd log.

Sorry, but this is absurd. What's the point of maintaining backward
compatibility with obsolete documentation? Following this logic, we would not
be able to change anything ever. What we should actually do is update the
documentation. Ditto for automation.

+1 for updating the automation and documentation. But some backward
compatibility will need to be retained, at least for the stable systems like
RHEL where *other* people may have some automation or documentation around it,
not just us.

Or you could just also create a symlink to the old name and it will
always just work.

rob

Aren't the symlinks what Martin2 mentioned in second-NACK?

These new timestamped logs should be combined with the Gabe's patches: #5728 (renamed to command name) and #5724 (move to /var/log/ipa directory).

So that there will be e.g.:
/var/log/ipaserver-install.log -> /var/log/ipa-server-install-{timestamp}.log

/var/log/ipa/ipa-server-install.log -> /var/log/ipa-server-install-{timestamp}.log

--
Petr Vobornik