On 11.3.2016 15:56, Gabe Alford wrote:
On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 7:35 AM, Petr Vobornik <pvobo...@redhat.com
<mailto:pvobo...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    On 03/11/2016 03:00 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:

        Martin Kosek wrote:

            On 03/11/2016 09:55 AM, Jan Cholasta wrote:

                On 11.3.2016 09:33, Martin Kosek wrote:

                    On 03/08/2016 07:07 PM, Martin Basti wrote:

                        On 08.03.2016 16:37, Martin Basti wrote:

                            On 08.03.2016 16:31, Martin Basti wrote:

                                Patch attached.

                            Rebased patch attached.

                        self-NACK

                        Scripts print to CLI unformatted strings, it
                        should not be so easy.
                        See /var/log/ipaupgrade-{timestamp}.log for more
                        information

                    second-NACK. We cannot break existing log file
                    paths. The paths are mentioned
                    in a documentation and there may be also automation
                    around that (gathering log
                    files). So there should be always symlink from the
                    well known location to the
                    newest timestampe'd log.

                Sorry, but this is absurd. What's the point of
                maintaining backward
                compatibility with obsolete documentation? Following
                this logic, we would not
                be able to change anything ever. What we should actually
                do is update the
                documentation. Ditto for automation.

            +1 for updating the automation and documentation. But some
            backward
            compatibility will need to be retained, at least for the
            stable systems like
            RHEL where *other* people may have some automation or
            documentation around it,
            not just us.

        Or you could just also create a symlink to the old name and it will
        always just work.

        rob

    Aren't the symlinks what Martin2 mentioned in second-NACK?

    These new timestamped logs should be combined with the Gabe's
    patches: #5728 (renamed to command name) and #5724 (move to
    /var/log/ipa directory).

    So that there will be e.g.:
    /var/log/ipaserver-install.log ->
    /var/log/ipa-server-install-{timestamp}.log

    /var/log/ipa/ipa-server-install.log ->
    /var/log/ipa-server-install-{timestamp}.log

I wonder if it would be simpler/better to always write to the *.log
file, and then have old logs timestamped rather than write directly to a
timestamped log file?
Then just symlink the original log file in /var/log/ to the new log file
name/location in /var/log/ipa.

For example:
/var/log/ipaserver-install.log ->
/var/log/ipa/ipa-server-install.log                <-- We write to this
log (current)

/var/log/ipa-server-install-{timestamp}.log   <-- Old log with some date

/var/log/ipa-server-install-{timestamp}.log   <-- Older log with some date

/var/log/ipa-server-install-{timestamp}.log   <-- Oldest log with some date

This is way too overengineered for something that should actually be really simple. I don't care if it is done this way or not, but IMHO it would be a waste of time. Logs are not API and should not be treated as such. If it needs to be done differently on RHEL, it should be handled downstream.

--
Jan Cholasta