On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 7:35 AM, Petr Vobornik <pvobo...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 03/11/2016 03:00 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>
>> Martin Kosek wrote:

>>> +1 for updating the automation and documentation. But some backward
>>> compatibility will need to be retained, at least for the stable systems
>>> like
>>> RHEL where *other* people may have some automation or documentation
>>> around it,
>>> not just us.
>>>

>> Or you could just also create a symlink to the old name and it will
>> always just work.
>>
>> rob
>>

> Aren't the symlinks what Martin2 mentioned in second-NACK?
>
> These new timestamped logs should be combined with the Gabe's patches:
> #5728 (renamed to command name) and #5724 (move to /var/log/ipa directory).
>
> So that there will be e.g.:
> /var/log/ipaserver-install.log ->
> /var/log/ipa-server-install-{timestamp}.log
>
> /var/log/ipa/ipa-server-install.log ->
> /var/log/ipa-server-install-{timestamp}.log

I wonder if it would be simpler/better to always write to the *.log file,
and then have old logs timestamped rather than write directly to a
timestamped log file?
Then just symlink the original log file in /var/log/ to the new log file
name/location in /var/log/ipa.

For example:
/var/log/ipaserver-install.log ->
/var/log/ipa/ipa-server-install.log                <-- We write to this log
(current)

/var/log/ipa-server-install-{timestamp}.log   <-- Old log with some date

/var/log/ipa-server-install-{timestamp}.log   <-- Older log with some date

/var/log/ipa-server-install-{timestamp}.log   <-- Oldest log with some date

Gabe