On (06/03/17 13:35), Tomas Krizek wrote:
> [...]
>> changes onto the current, live development system.
>If you provide correct paths to ./configure, yes - make && make install
>will place all the bits in the right places. I commonly use it with
>DESTDIR and sshfs, so I can develop locally and deploy to a remote
>machine without building RPMs.
>> If so, does it have checks for all the runtime dependencies or will you
>> still have to do a bunch of work afterward the make install?
>It doesn't check runtime dependencies. I install the freeipa rpms once
>to install dependencies and then use make && make install.
>> I've seen discussions about making freeIPA more accessible to the
>> average developer, which is good, but it is just so more complex than
>> the typical software because it is more about integration than most big
>> projects. So I don't know that this is every going to really be true.
>> Will it help the average dev install it? Sure, but then what? Will you
>> support such an install?
>>
>> If you want to disable the checks for *lint that is certainly your
>> prerogative but I see some downsides:
>>
>> - I used to setup new dev systems all the time and this is definitely
>> something I'd forget to do with some frequency
>> - As I understand it the checks will be executed by upstream before a
>> change is accepted so that's good but it adds a huge delay and the
>> requirement of a roundtrip to fix simple mistakes (happens all the time
>> in OpenStack).
>On-PR checks can handle this. When you need to fix a linter issue, you
>can install the dependencies and run make lint locally.
>> I think my question boils down to how many people will this actually
>> benefit vs how much time will be lost resubmitting patches? I don't
>> think there is an easy answer for the first part but from my own
>> experience I'd expect fairly regularly for lint and pep8 errors.
>If someone often has this issue, the workflow can be modified to address
>it. For example, I've configured my repo to run to run pylint and pep8
>on the modified files before the commit.
>> On the other hand I guess this also will have the additional advantage
>> that make rpms will be significantly faster if you don't enable them.
>>
>> The --disable vs --without is what bugs me most about the current
>> situation :-)
>>
>> So in closing I'd just say that we made those checks mandatory for a
>> reason. Maybe that reason is no longer applicable with all the current
>> automation but I'd personally prefer Lukas's suggestion of requiring
>> them by default but providing clear output on how to disable them if
>> desired. This way the average user can easily work around it and it
>> won't impact current developers (unless they want it to). Is that as
>> simple as configure; make; make install? No, but it isn't a huge leap
>> either.
>>
>> rob
>>
>I prefer Christian's approach that makes the project more upstream-friendly.

Could you explain what does "more upstream-friendly" mean?
It seems that we have different opinion what does it mean.

>I think changing the default from "yes" to "autodetect" negatively
>affects packagers, but it makes it more accessible to upstream developers.

I know it is comfortable to rely on travis with PRs but travis does not check
on debian.

And I would like to know how does the current approach limit (current) upstream
developers.

LS