OK. I Think I've got this licked. I had to manually activate the account on both the Active Directory and the FreeIPA server. I think what was happening was this:

  1. Admin activates the account on IPA server (moves cn=inactivated to
     cn-activated)
  2. IPA server schedules windows sync
  3. IPA server reads windows status disabled
  4. IPA disables FreeIPA account
  5. IPA server updates AD account to enable
  6. IPA server schedules 2nd windows sync
  7. IPA server updates AD account to disable

I don't know why this account is encountering this issue. It just started flipping disabled at about 2:00 am today.