The memberof plugin does not change group memberships it only updates
the memberof attribute to keep it in sync with the member ones.

Simo.

I made a mistake interpreting the audit log initially. I realized after I created the subject that the MemberOf changes reflect the changes being made in the background to the individual record to populate the memberOf attributes for the change I initiated. Since the audit records don't actually say what the MemberOf plugins are changing in the record (they only report updating the modifiersname), I thought it was actually what was changing the group membership back.

Something else was changing the group membership back (or rolling back the initial change), but it is not being recorded in the audit logs.

I still can't get my head around why the audit log reports both plugins making changes to the record, even though the 389 MemberOf plugin is disabled.

time: 20100317111527
dn: uid=afflicted.user,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=com
changetype: modify
replace: modifiersName
modifiersName: cn=ipa-memberof,cn=plugins,cn=config
-
replace: modifyTimestamp
modifyTimestamp: 20100317151502Z
-

time: 20100317111529
dn: uid=afflicted.user,cn=users,cn=accounts,dc=domain,dc=com
changetype: modify
replace: modifiersName
modifiersName: cn=MemberOf Plugin,cn=plugins,cn=config