On 05/03/2010 06:11 PM, Sean Brady wrote:
I just checked out the requirements document for 2.0 again and I see
that the policy and audit sections indicate that those requirements have
been dropped. I didn't see anything on this list about that, although I
admit I haven't had time to follow that closely.

Can anyone comment on why these have been dropped, and what would
replace that functionality? One area of specific concern would be the
removal of 1.3.8, "Integrate machine into the existing network by
downloading and applying policies related to the machine (network
settings, policy, printers)"...

Thanks all.

You could try Puppet (http://puppet.reductivelabs.com/), which provides
most of the functionality IPA v2 was originally going to provide.

I was just curious as to the reasoning behind the change. I'm not really that upset about it or anything, except for the configuration download part. That was something that I was really looking forward to. It was just a little bit of a shock to see that on the site without seeing anything about it here first.

And as for Puppet, I just can't bring myself to install Ruby on my servers and give up the extra RAM that it needs. They are all tuned VM's that use just enough resources. Perhaps I am succumbing to FUD, but it's not worth it at this point. Maybe this change in direction with FreeI will change that.

Well, I suppose now we need to change the name to FreeI, since the PA are gone :).