I ran into this, there was a post bout it a little while back. It seems that
you can modify ipapython/version.py to revert the version number for enrolment,
then revert it. with no ill effects.

 My script looks like:

#revert reported version of ipapython so keys will upload properly (backup
first tho)
cp /usr/share/pyshared/ipapython/version.py
/usr/share/pyshared/ipapython/version.py.bak
sed -i "s/API_VERSION=.*/API_VERSION=u'2.49'/g"
/usr/share/pyshared/ipapython/version.py

# install!
ipa-client-install -d -U --enable-dns-updates --hostname=$FQDN --mkhomedir
--password=$PASS

#revert change to the ipapython version back again
#rm -f /usr/share/pyshared/ipapython/version.py && mv
/usr/share/pyshared/ipapython/version.py.bak
/usr/share/pyshared/ipapython/version.py

Kind regards,

Will Sheldon
+1.778-689-1244