On 09/04/2014 11:24 PM, Andrew Krause wrote:
I realize this question has been brought forth previously, but I am unable to find a clear answer. I have a 389-ds environment that is serving as an authentication back end for a python application. The plan was to use this as a kind of SSO for other future applications and we have MANY users/groups/OUs and different policies involved already. Since it's not really feasible to re-create everything, and it will not integrate directly with FreeIPA I would like to be able to import my subtree to the 389-ds instance within my new FreeIPA install and manage that subtree separately from all my hosts and POSIX users.

The short question, how can I manage to get the admin console working with the 389-ds that is included in FreeIPA?

I'd really like to use FreeIPA for all my host based authentication, but it becomes a non-option if we have to run multiple directory clusters.

The best way is to use ipa migrate-ds command to load the users from the external LDAP server. You can connect a console to IPA DS instance but we do not recommend doing modifications via it because IPA creates all sorts of object classes on the entries on top of usual posix account. You can use the console to validate on the low level that all data has been properly migrated. But again ipa has ipa user-find and user-show commands that allow you to validation too so console might actually not be needed.

Please refer to ipa help and online downstream manuals on how to use migrate-ds command.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IdM portfolio