On 03/06/2015 10:56 AM, Roberto Cornacchia wrote:
Hi there,

I'm planning to deploy freeIPA on our lan.
It's small-ish and completely based on FC21, so I expect everything to work
like a charm.

Except one detail. We have Synology NAS station, which uses DSM 5.0.
The ideal plan is to use it as host for shared NFS home dirs once we switch our
desktops to freeIPA.

Great!

I've already tried on a VirtualBox replica of our lan how to configure the
Synology station against freeIPA.
LDAP enrolling worked, and I created a srv entry in the freeIPA dns, but I
didn't go further than that.

SSSD does not seem to exist for DSM 5. What are the implications? Can it do
without? I understood SSSD works as a caching system, so that the machine keeps
working when freeIPA is unavailable. Does it have any other vital role?

It depends what you want to achieve. I do not know what client DSM users (nss_ldap?), but I assume it should be able to at least do UID/GID translation, using FreeIPA server. nss_ldap is sufficient for the task.

SSSD 1.12 has for example CIFS client, that may be useful NFS as well. (See ticket https://fedorahosted.org/sssd/ticket/1534).

CCing Jakub from SSSD team for further reference.

Thanks for your input.

Roberto

PS. This mailing list is pleasantly active. Keep up the good work!

Thanks, you too! :-)

Martin