On 03/19/2015 02:46 PM, Roberto Cornacchia wrote:
Hi Dmitri,

I do realise my question is borderline and I accept that it is considered off-topic.

I did post it here because I believe it's not *only* about NFS, but also about its interaction with freeIPA. The issue of NFS home and in particular about their creation is touched in all the links I posted (all about freeIPA) and never really answered.

This is what documented and recommended:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html-single/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/index.html#kerb-nfs

RHEL6 has a similar chapter in its doc set though books have changed significantly between 6 and 7.

I do not see any chicken and egg problem there.
The instructions show how to create home dirs on the first login.

It mounts the volume and then creates dirs on it as users log in if they are not already there.

It is unclear what problem you see with doing it the way it is recommended.

Best,
Roberto