> On 19 Mar 2015, at 21:18, Roberto Cornacchia <roberto.cornacc...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> It's possible that I'm simply not getting the point, or that I don't
> understand the documentation correctly, but this is what I don't find clear:
>
> I had seen the instructions you pointed me at. These are not specifically
> about home directories.
>
> However, this section is:
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html-single/Linux_Domain_Identity_Authentication_and_Policy_Guide/index.html#homedir-reqs
>

> It first suggests that automatic creation of home directories over NFS shares
> is possible: just automount /home and then use pam_oddjob_mkhomedir or
> pam_mkhomedir to create homedirs at first login.
>
> But then it also suggests that mounting the whole /home tree could be an
> issue, and says: "Use automount to mount only the user's home directory and
> only when the user logs in, rather than loading the entire /home tree."
>
> That means that automatic homedir creation is out of the game, doesn't it?
>
> That's what I find confusing. What's the recommended way?

It really depends on your environment. For your size, it's perfectly fine to
NFS mount the whole /home tree and be done with it. Don't optimize prematurely
:-)

>>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/FreeIPA_Guide/automount.html
>>> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/18/html/FreeIPA_Guide/users.html#home-directories