Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 18:36:21 +0300
From: aboko...@redhat.com
To: deepak_di...@hotmail.com
CC: freeipa-users@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] Permission not working as expected

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016, Deepak Dimri wrote:
>Hi Alexander,
>
>Since i do not want myadmin1 to be able to add or remove the host from
>other xyzhostgroups into myhostgroup membership.  Is it possible that
>myadmin1 only sees objects i specifically given the permissions to  and
>not any other hosts outside of myhostgroup?  That way he cannot add the
>host he is not supposed to manage within myhostgroup
OK, now I get it. An easiest way to solve this problem, no surprise, is
organizational: do not give host group admin rights to include hosts to
the hostgroup or delete them, only allow them to manage what's in the
host group.

You then need to create a separate permission for 'add'/'del' rights
against 'member' attribute that would allow to include/remove hosts.
That's easy but it would not allow you to limit *what* hosts could be
added/removed from the host group.

Unfortunately, to make that possible, permission-add/permission-mod
should be extended to allow specifying target attribute's values like
described in the RHDS Administration Guide:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/10/html/Administration_Guide/Managing_Access_Control-Creating_ACIs_Manually.html#Defining_Targets-Targeting_Attribute_Values_Using_LDAP_Filters

Even then to define something like this, you need to have specific
naming of hosts to be able to specify a pattern as a 'member' attribute
value. Not sure how this is going to work for you in AWS, though, so
this is why I'm saying it is an organizational issue, not really a
technical one.

>Thanks for your great support!
>regards,Deepak
>
>From: deepak_di...@hotmail.com
>To: aboko...@redhat.com
>CC: freeipa-users@redhat.com
>Subject: RE: [Freeipa-users] Permission not working as expected
>Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 09:54:38 -0400
>

>Let me try summarize it!
>I want xyzadmin of xyzhostgroup be able to mange all the hosts with in the xyzhostgroup  -
which means he should be able to delete/ add/ modify the hosts under xyzhostgroup .  This is
what i currently  have in the role :  myhostgroup-role (role)--> myadmin1 (admin
user)--> myhostgroup (host group where i have added the hosts) -->
my-hostgroup-privilege --> my-hostgroup-permission
>The problem is that the moment i add memberOf =cn=.... in the target filter then
myadmin1 cannot add/delete the hosts with in myhostgroup and any other hosts in other
hostgroups. However if i assign the role permission with with
subtree=dc=us-west-2,dc=compute,dc=amazonaws,dc=com and filter as
(&(cn=myhostgroup)(objectclass=ipahostgroup)) and member attribute added then
myadmin1 gets the expected access to manage the hosts within myhostgroup but then he
also gets access to delete and manage other hosts outside of myhostgroup which i dont
want!

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy

/ Alexander Bokovoy