Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 18:36:21 +0300
From: aboko...@redhat.com
To: deepak_di...@hotmail.com
CC: freeipa-users@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] Permission not working as expected

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016, Deepak Dimri wrote:
>Hi Alexander,
>
>Since i do not want myadmin1 to be able to add or remove the host from
>other xyzhostgroups into myhostgroup membership.  Is it possible that
>myadmin1 only sees objects i specifically given the permissions to  and
>not any other hosts outside of myhostgroup?  That way he cannot add the
>host he is not supposed to manage within myhostgroup
OK, now I get it. An easiest way to solve this problem, no surprise, is
organizational: do not give host group admin rights to include hosts to
the hostgroup or delete them, only allow them to manage what's in the
host group.

You then need to create a separate permission for 'add'/'del' rights
against 'member' attribute that would allow to include/remove hosts.
That's easy but it would not allow you to limit *what* hosts could be
added/removed from the host group.

Unfortunately, to make that possible, permission-add/permission-mod
should be extended to allow specifying target attribute's values like
described in the RHDS Administration Guide:
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/10/html/Administration_Guide/Managing_Access_Control-Creating_ACIs_Manually.html#Defining_Targets-Targeting_Attribute_Values_Using_LDAP_Filters

Even then to define something like this, you need to have specific
naming of hosts to be able to specify a pattern as a 'member' attribute
value. Not sure how this is going to work for you in AWS, though, so
this is why I'm saying it is an organizational issue, not really a
technical one.

>Thanks for your great support!
>regards,Deepak
>
>From: deepak_di...@hotmail.com
>To: aboko...@redhat.com
>CC: freeipa-users@redhat.com
>Subject: RE: [Freeipa-users] Permission not working as expected
>Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 09:54:38 -0400
>

>Let me try summarize it!
>I want xyzadmin of xyzhostgroup be able to mange all the hosts with
in the xyzhostgroup  - which means he should be able to delete/ add/
modify the hosts under xyzhostgroup .  This is what i currently  have
in the role :  myhostgroup-role (role)--> myadmin1 (admin user)-->
myhostgroup (host group where i have added the hosts) -->
my-hostgroup-privilege --> my-hostgroup-permission
>The problem is that the moment i add memberOf =cn=.... in the target
filter then myadmin1 cannot add/delete the hosts with in myhostgroup
and any other hosts in other hostgroups. However if i assign the role
permission with with
subtree=dc=us-west-2,dc=compute,dc=amazonaws,dc=com and filter as
(&(cn=myhostgroup)(objectclass=ipahostgroup)) and member attribute
added then myadmin1 gets the expected access to manage the hosts
within myhostgroup but then he also gets access to delete and manage
other hosts outside of myhostgroup which i dont want!

>Thanks & Regards,Deepak
>> Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:10:00 +0300
>> From: aboko...@redhat.com
>> To: deepak_di...@hotmail.com
>> CC: freeipa-users@redhat.com
>> Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] Permission not working as expected
>>
>> On Tue, 30 Aug 2016, Deepak Dimri wrote:
>> >Hi Alexander,
>> >i did try adding the "member" effective attribute in GUI and also
from
>> >the command prompt But the error is not going away when i try to
delete
>> >the host from my taphostgroup. for me it only works if i have
>> >(&(cn=taphostgroup)(objectclass=ipaobject)) in the --filter, BUT
then
>> >the i am allowed access to all the hosts in all the hostgroup :(
I am

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy