Here are my findings. The problem seems to be related to mkhomedir. By
default my homedir looks like /home/%d/%u. In this case, when a user
logs in for the first time /home/%d gets created and the %u part is
missing. If I create it manually everything works fine.

If i set override_homedir to /home/%u in the testclients sssd (nss
section) settings the directory gets created and almost everything works
fine. On the first login I get a "Could not chdir to home directory
/home/myuser: No such file or directory" - the directory seems to get
created to late.