On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 02:19:21PM +0800, Chan Min Wai wrote:
> Dana Hudes wrote:
> > On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Chan Min Wai wrote:
> > System. Now think. How do dialup users connect? They use SLIP/PPP.
> > PPP has provision for sending the IP address info for the connection. It
> > is part of the NCP (authentication happens in LCP). Now you are connecting
> > on an WLAN. There is no PPP. So how can the client get an IP address
> > when you set it to 'obtain IP address automatically'?  Same as
> > on a wired LAN: BOOTP or DHCP. The 802.11 MAC doesn't get you IP address.

> I see

> So unless that, this "Switch" is smart enough to do a PPP connection and
> only then this IP address will be able to be distribute by the switch to
> the client.

No, WLAN has nothing to do with PPP. PPP is the Point to Point Protocol,
it is a protocol for talking over lines with two ends and passing layer3
traffic across them. It is a layer 2 protocol. WLAN uses a different
layer2 protocol (or protocols?), defined in the 802.11 standards.

Well, I guess if someone extended PPPoE to PPPo802.11, then yes? But
that would be very very daft...

> So no other way round to distribute ip address (other then using DHCP
> Server)

In _theory_ the RADIUS server can send an IP address to the AP to give
to the device (via DHCP) but I don't think any do... (Of course, I could
be wrong... 802.1x happens before an IP address is assigned, right?)
If you need a solution like that, maybe a self-built AP using a WLAN
card that lets you use hostAP or similar? Strikes me as a major pain,
frankly.

> my other Question is, how I recorded what IP I've been assign to them
> using that way?

Should be in the Accounting-Start packet. If you don't get an
Accounting-Start packet (which is quite likely >_<) then no, no way
to record it via RADIUS. You _might_ be able to rlm_exec a script to
go fetch it from the AP's web-based management interface, but that
seems like an awful lot of hard work to me.

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, on an alternate email client.