From: Martin Reuter [mreu...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu]
Sent: Thursday, 7 March 2013 5:41 AM
To: Nick Schmansky
Cc: Sarah Whittle; freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] Longitudinal analysis of one timepoint

Hi Sara,

yes, should work, just make sure that all cross are 5.1  (and not mixed)
to remain consistent.
By the way 5.1 can process differently many time points for each
subject. Just not subjects with a single time point only. To include
those you'd need 5.2

Best, Martin

On 03/06/2013 01:32 PM, Nick Schmansky wrote:
> Sarah,
>
> I'm cc'ing martin reuter on this, but yes, you should be able to use
> your cross-sectionally processed scans from v5.1 in a longitudinal
> analysis using v5.2.
>
> Nick
>

> On Wed, 2013-03-06 at 05:46 +0000, Sarah Whittle wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> RE the below post, we have longitudinal data from three time points,
>> but a number of participants have scans for only one or two time
>> points. We've done all of the cross-sectional analysis (including a
>> lot of manual editing) and are ready to run everything through the
>> longitudinal stream. Our plan was to run sets of analyses for all of
>> the possible combinations of longitudinal scans.
>>
>> e.g., Time 1, Time 2, Time 3;
>> Time 1, Time 2;
>> Time 1, Time 3;
>> Time 2, Time 3
>>
>> Obviously the new feature in version 5.2 (i.e., being able to run all
>> images together, regardless of whether some time points are missing
>> for some people) would be MUCH better. Is this possible to do using
>> our 5.1 cross-sectionally processed images? Given the time we've put
>> into manual editing, we really wouldn't want to have to run everything
>> again through 5.2.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sarah

>> Hi Henk-Jan,
>>
>> to avoid bias between subjects with single time points and others, we
>> run them through the same steps. This way it is possible to include them
>> into the statistical analysis. (For this an artificial base is created
>> with the head in an upright and straight position).
>>
>> This feature will be available in 5.2. Nothing with respect to
>> processing commands changes, you will simply pass only a single time
>> point to the -base and then run it with -long.
>> Nice and transparent :-).
>>
>> Anyway, you probably should wait till 5.2. There is several programs
>> that changed for this to work. Also the current recon-all contains many
>> changes not related to this. If you absolutely cannot wait, let me know
>> and I'll take a look at how difficult it is to go back and adjust 5.1.
>>
>> Best, Martin
>>

>> On Tue, 2012-12-04 at 17:06 +0000, Westeneng, H.J. wrote:
>>> Hi Freesurfer experts,
>>>

>>> This week a read the article of Bernal-Rusiel et al. titled
>>> “Statistical analysis of longitudinal neuroimage data with Linear
>>> Mixed Effects models”. In this article you described the submission of
>>> single time-point scans to the longitudinal pipeline of Freesurfer.
>>> I’m very interested in how to do this. Your help will be appreciated.
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>

>>> Henk-Jan

>>> De informatie opgenomen in dit bericht kan vertrouwelijk zijn en is
>>> uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde. Indien u dit bericht
>>> onterecht ontvangt, wordt u verzocht de inhoud niet te gebruiken en de
> [...]

Dr. Martin Reuter
Assistant in Neuroscience - Massachusetts General Hospital
Instructor in Neurology   - Harvard Medical School
MGH / HMS / MIT

A.A.Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 Thirteenth Street, Suite 2301
Charlestown, MA 02129

Phone: +1-617-724-5652
Email: