Hi Sarah.
I cannot comment on 5.1 vs waiting for 5.3.

About the single time point. The reason is not that we need the base. We just
want to make sure that that image undergoes the same processing steps as all
other images to avoid a processing bias.
Mixed effects models allow inclusion of subjects with single time points so it
makes sense to include them to gain power.
Best Martin