Hi Lucia - You are using an older version of tracula (from freesurfer 5.1 instead of 5.3). This version used to have memory issues in the mac build. There is an update of the 5.1 mac build that addresses the memory issue, but since you are just starting out, I *highly* recommend to use the 5.3 version. It has improved both speed and performance. All this info is here:
        http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/Tracula/#Updates

Also, please make sure to send these messages to the freesuerfer list and not just to me personally. This way the messages are archived, which reduces the replication of questions.
        http://www.mail-archive.com/freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/

Thanks!
a.y