PVC will increase signal in some regions and will decrease it in others. Eg, for FDG it will increase it in GM and decrease it in WM. The reason you are seeing such a wide range is that the MG correction subtracts the WM then divides by the GM partial volume fraction (PVF, a number between 0 and 1). This requires a mask of some sort because there will be some voxels where the GM PVF is 0 (and you can't divide by 0). When you ran mri_gtmpvc with the --mgx option, you had to supply a threshold (eg, .01). This is the minimum allowed PVF before the voxel is masked out. If you used .01, then the multiplier could be as large as 1/.10 = 100, which agrees with the range you are seeing. Because of this problem, you must do the MG voxel-wise analysis on the surface where the GM PVF will be high. For subcortical analysis, you must use a mask of subcortical GM structures. The mask must be used when smoothing because you must only smooth within the mask (not such a problem on the surface). Note that there are many paper that use MG in a volume-based voxel-wise analysis; in my opinion, these studies are invalid.