Also, for comparison purposes, here is my 2000 bit/s modem running
through a Yaesu FT60 handheld radio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsmGYWxjfjU
The filter in Gqrx is adjusted for wide deviation (5 kHz) but the
signal is only really about 3 kHz wide.

Please note how the signal is 15-16 dB smack on above the noise floor.
If I were to run your modem, it would probably decode even where my
SDR falls over. This is probably because the RTL-SDR has a much lower
noise figure than my USRP, although I will trade that any day for the
12 bit ADC.

73,
Adrian