Hi David,
You are right, it was measurement error. With the help of Brady's GRC
flowgraphs, I was able to set up a more reliable test.
The chain was: gnuradio DBPSK modem on laptop -> Yaesu FT60 set on narrow
deviation -> USRP B200 -> Gqrx
The USRP has fine adjustable gain, between 0 and 70 dB.
I was able to obtain error free copy at 18 dB above noise or 6 dB above
(scratchy) analog FM. I am using a packet encoder so if 1 bit is lost the whole
packet is dropped.
The interesting thing is that sometimes the modem would decode at barely 10 dB
above noise. It was critical to adjust audio levels so that the radio does not
over deviate.
Also, FM modulation does strange things to my phase, so I had to run a very
tight FLL band edge loop to keep the constellation stable. I think there is
still lots of room for improvement there.
Also, I could not make the MSK modem decode after Gqrx demodulation, although
if I use two analog radios it passes just fine. So I can't provide measurements
for that modem.
Hope this is useful,

Adrian (YO8RZZ)