Hi David,

Thanks for the answer! I have just simulated a 2FSK modem on AWGN
channel, but this time without using FM demodulation. It performs just
like you said, ~2 dB worse than QPSK (at 5% frames dropped). This
means that the FM demodulator I used for 2400A must be introducing
some symbol errors.

What I can't figure out is the 10 dB difference to analog FM. My
experimental results (test in urban environment, with distances
between 500 meters and 1 km between sender and receiver) show ~6 dB
between QPSK and analog FM (with 2.5 kHz deviation) and no more than 4
dB between 4FSK and FM. Could the non-coherent demodulation explain
this?
I know I can obtain up to 6 dB SNR improvement by going to Codec2 700
bits/sec and using Viterbi soft symbol decoding, but I'd like to get
the optimal results before. Would convolutional encoding in 2400A be
worth considering?

Thanks,
Adrian