On 10/5/17, Steve <coupaydevi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You might also do your testing in a more remote spot. The use of ISM
> in the city is probably pretty high, and interference would be an
> issue. It might not break the squelch (spread spectrum, etc), but the
> bits would be corrupted.
>
> I see a lot of users on that band, with just a junkbox antenna and
> SDR, and I'm in a residential area.
>
> 73/Steve

Hi Steve,

Actually, there was not much noise on those particular frequencies at
that time. I know because I could monitor the signals on the spectrum
scope in a 1 MHz bandwidth around my frequencies of interest (doing
this on a cellphone with limited screen estate is quite challenging).
I plan to repeat the test in a more organized fashion on 5 GHz and 2.4
GHz. I expect better performance and reliable 1 square km coverage
with the following setup: 1 milliwatt transmitter into 16 dBi sector
antennas and 6 dBi RX antennas (with and w/o diversity). I will
process the data and hopefully make it available before the SDRA
conference in July next year for interested parties. I recommend
reading ETSI ETR 300-1 for details on the test methodology.

Resistance to wideband interference from 802.11x and avoidance of
other narrow band signals like 802.15 is one of the goals. SDR allows
us to monitor several MHz of spectrum and choose the channel with the
best SNR. One simple way to do this is a multichannel modem with
OFDMA, where active carrier allocation is done based on noise sensing.

Cheers,
Adrian