indeed

commercial 4FSK implementations are more about bandwidth than sensitivity. Frequency spacing between to tones is bandwidth optimizated not system sensitivity optimized.

if we consider each of the 4 tones of 4FSK  being received by a separate receiver (easier to conceptualize) , each tone will have half the information rate of each tone in a 2FSK system.

And with half the information rate we have half the noise bandwidth, and twice the sensitivity.

Our optimal 4FSK receiver, being four filters on four frequencies only has a noise bandwidth of the information rate in one tone. A commercial implementation of 4FSK (P25, DMR)  has a noise bandwidth >=  than the information rate of the total payload, this costs the modem significant performance.