Hi Gullik,

Using Carson's rule, minimum orthogonal shift 4-FSK looks like it occupies slightly less bandwidth than minimum orthogonal shift 2-FSK (but slightly less != half the bandwidth).

The minimum frequency shift between adjacent FSK tones for them to be orthogonal is half of the symbol rate (eg 2400 symbols/sec = 1200 Hz frequency shift between adjacent tones).

The deltaF (aka deviation) used in Carson's rule is half the frequency shift between the two tones _furtherest apart in frequency_ (not the frequency shift between two adjacent tones).

So, let;
n = number of tones (binary exponential: 2-FSK, 4-FSK, 8-FSK, etc)
sr = symbol rate (baud)

Frequency shift between adjacent tones (Hz)
(also the "highest modulating frequency" for Carson's rule eg ...10101010... @ 9600 baud = 4800 Hz)
fs = sr / 2

Peak deviation (Hz)
deltaF = (fs * (n - 1)) / 2

Bandwidth - Carson's rule (Hz)
BW = 2 (fs + deltaF)
or
BW = sr ( 1 + ((n - 1) / 2) )

Spectral efficiency (bits/s/Hz)
ŋ = 1 / ( BW / bits_per_symbol )

Thus;
*n-FSK**
*       *bits/symbol**
*       *Spectral Efficiency (bit/s/Hz)**
*
2
        1
        0.667
4
        2
        0.8
8
        3
        0.667
16
        4
        0.471

According to Carson's rule, _4-FSK looks like it is right in the "sweet spot" for spectral efficiency_. Also, the reduced symbol rate vs 2-FSK should help improve resistance to multipath (even before channel equalisation is considered).

73 ZL2WRW
Ross Whenmouth