There was a project based on a CML Micro chip (the same one used in
Tetra handsets), I think Bruce Perens was its godfather. It sounded
very interesting considering those chips were not very expensive, but
I have no idea what the status of that is currently.

My main concern is coming up with a good frontend. I think that's very
hard and basically out of reach for an amateur project.

On the other hand, may I suggest taking a look at LMS7002 by Lime
Micro, it's a full featured chip designed for cell networks and it's
very well documented. The company behind it is very user-friendly and
they actually go out of their way to provide support for amateur
radio.

Regards,
Adrian