On 1/10/18, Sebastien F4GRX <f4...@f4grx.net> wrote:

> -during your own developments, avoid reinventing the wheel. Focus on
> existing
> open standards when one exists. For example, use IP, TCP, and things like
> that.
> We have a full class-A 44/8 IP network reserved for our own ham use. That's
> 16
> million addresses. If we starve, we will find a solution later. If some
> people
> tell you that IP addresses need to be coordinated, then okay, later. Let me
> play
> before we need to coordinate. Only invent something when current open
> standards
> dont exist or cannot be used. Open standards are good for many reasons: to
> save
> time, to ensure interoperability, etc.

I agree completely. There's DMR out there, and it's taking off here
like wildfire. Tetra is better, but there's no open source basestation
code and the standard is quite complex and handsets are hard to get at
least until state agencies switch to LTE. There's also P25 and I think
OP25 is the project to watch in the future. OP25 basically now has a
full layer 1 and layer 2 implementation. It's mature and has support
from a known entity. But it has no layer 3 behind, so that's a place
to start digging.

Regards,
Adrian