Hi

Just some other ideas:

*NIX-type systems: "write" or "mail" the local user
Windows: balloon tip
Android: push notification

The most flexible way might be to just have the user put in something
in a textbox(es) that gets executed by system() or execve(). Like
"/bin/bash /home/username/mynotificationscript.sh". socat could then be
used to send UDP packets. Or you put in a call to write. Or something
else.

/Tomas