Marcus,

I wouldn't want to put a too much of a damper on your enthusiasm.   I do
think there's some cause for excitement over the insight government
could gain by inquiring into complex systems with new tools, but
modeling the general dynamics of events is SO far beyond our present
capabilities I wonder if you're thinking straight.  It's not that I
wouldn't want to help author the rules for a grant competition for
designing the institute you propose.  Integrating interdisciplinary
methods and data takes a lot of discipline.  It's just that the problems
I listed before are far from trivial and I have a long list of others
that are as bad or worse.

It's not a safe bet to say we'd even get anywhere with a global model of
events in a hundred years.  The bubbling pot of world human interest is
not going to reveal itself any time soon.  It's like the guys intending
to download the brain.   What are they going to do when they find out
there are chemical synapses, or that the electrical synapses seem to
communicate timing rather than data???  How the hell you going to
download that stuff, it's just music!!  Even if black magic gave you all
the motions of all the molecules I don't think it would help you in the
slightest, except in a medical way perhaps, with what they were doing!
There's a larger system there, that I don't think can exist except as
itself.

I'm just saying there are huge disconnects all over and the most
productive approach is to have a ball finding them.   One of the coolest
ones for constructing a general model of events from research data, from
my point of view, is that your data collectors actually would not be
able to distinguish between the abstract patterns they invent in their
own minds and the physical patterns of the world.  When they come back
and tell you what they measured, you won't really know what they're
talking about.

Just try it, count the number of fanatics who are a threat to motherhood
and apple pie.  All your data collector can efficiently do is look at
you sullenly and assure you they did the exact same thing they did
yesterday and if that's not good enough then get someone else.  That new
person will of course do it differently.   Or, to take the problem of
individual differences seriously, try something that has actually been
given long and careful study.  Try predicting the repeat offences of
individual criminals.  It's not possible.

We sense natural systems exist, we feel them as if they're waves washing
over us, but we don't know why some people get wet and others don't and,
basically, can't see what's happening.   What we should do first is
learn how to identify them.  It's quite difficult.  Imagine we lived
with them for millions of years and only noticed they existed last week.
Nearly all stories are actually about them, but all we see is dense fog.
I think the key is to distinguish between those that are inside our own
brains and those that are not.  It's a clear cut distinction, but
surprisingly difficult.  I think it's that physical worlds have
structure and imaginary worlds are projections.

What excites me is the idea of taking old and familiar statistical
methods, (interpolation and differencing and regression) and jazzing
them up a little to reveal natural system events as individuals that can
then be localized and looked at from all sides by other means...  Before
we try to model these things, I think we really need to learn to see
them.   It's hard to see them.  Still, there are a variety of non-linear
patterns that are uniquely associated with emerging complex
organization.  Growth is key because that catches them as they begin,
but there are many other things as well.  I'm sure there are many kinds
of markers that can both serve to identify and localize.  Then... all
you'd need are the six wise men to feel up the elephant without getting
kicked, and tell you what it is!!!  :,)
Phil

> Phil Henshaw wrote:
> > OK, so let's take half the defense budget and spend it on Bucky's
> > 'livingry' rather than weaponry.   How much you need?   It certainly
> > couldn't be more of a waste than spending it threaten fanatic
> > community groups to obtain nuclear weapons...
> >

> Half the U.S. defense budget is $209 billion and half of Homeland
> Security is $15 billion.   Together $50 billion is being spent on
> domestic defense.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/interactives/budget06/budg
et06Agencies.html