If the USA delivers weapons and military knowledge to autonomous
parties in instable countries like Israel, Afghanistan and the
former Iraq and even trains people there to fight, it is of course
not surprising at all (perhaps even unavoidable) that eventually
these weapons will be used for an unintended purpose against the
will of the US, especially if all these people can do and have
learned is to fight.

Although it is therefore obvious that a blowback can happen
in this case, it would perhaps interesting to find out the
circumstances when it happens exactly, for example by simulating
the phenomenon with agent-based modelling in the way Marcus mentioned
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowback_(intelligence)

I guess one sequence how terrorists are made goes in
a chain of events like this:
1. A superpower first delivers weapons and military knowledge
   to autonomous parties or groups in instable countries
   (according to the proverb "The enemy of my enemy is my friend")
2. The autonomous parties succeed in their conflict, fight or
   resistance against something, e.g. an occupier or aggressor
   (Bin Laden was successful against the Russian occupier)
3. The autonomous parties do something that is not intended
   by the superpower (for example bombing embassies in their
   home countries)
4. The superpower turns against the autonomous parties, threatens
   them or tries to eliminate them (the Clinton administration for
   example tried to eliminate Bin Laden with a Cruise missile attack)
5. The autonomous parties react: they are going mad (become terrorists)
   and plan a terrorist attack on the superpower

Terms are relative: the terrorist for one is a freedom fighter
for the other and vice versa.

-J.