Jochen,

20/20 hindsight can only be turned into 20/20 foresight with simulation.
Yet, for some reason, I have repeatedly failed to convince policymakers
of this in numerous meetings.

I did an analysis for one of my MIT classes using strategy dynamics
(basically, a dumbed down version of system dynamics for non-math
people) to look at the growth of islamists in Afghanistan during the 80s.

I hypothesized that the use of strategy dynamics by intelligence
agencies would make sense as a way of developing a framework for
analyzing complex situations and providing clear insights into possible
future issues, including possible blowback situations.

I then worked with Dr. Warren (an LBS professor who was teaching system
dynamics at MIT via distance learning) and some other colleagues to use
strategy dynamics to look at the conflict in Sierra Leonne and we had
the opportunity to present the findings to the director of the
secretary-generals office of the UN in New York.

In both cases, I tried to get more funding to explore using strategy
dynamics and system dynamics to analyze terrorists issues, but failed to
know the right people or how to navigate the paperwork to secure
funding. Since it's easier selling work to corporations, that is where I
focus.

But, I still remain convinced that system dynamics, enhanced with agent
based models, in a hybrid model using software like NetLogo or AnyLogic
would be a powerful tool for intelligence purposes.

The strategy dynamics process is well-suited to gathering data in a
structured manner that can be easily fed to analysts back home. I call
it developing a strategic simulation architecture (SSA). It can be
taught to people in a few weeks.

We even discussed training people at the UN and with the head of police
in Sierra Leonne who got it but, once again, we were stymied by lack of
funding.

The key benefit of strategy dynamics, system dynamics and agent based
models are their  ability to deal with intangibles, such as the
accumulation of anger in a given population and then provide insights
into plausible scenarios on how that anger impacts the inflow of new
recruits into terrorist organizations.

See my short paper here for more:
http://s158641480.onlinehome.us/public/DS-004_SSA_Terrorism_V0-5_en.doc

Would love to hear your thoughts as the paper has languished in
obscurity since I wrote it in 2001.

:-P

Best,
Justin