Bruce,
Very nice! For these and several other reasons, electronic formats might just
save the textbook. They also offers the possibility to undercut the used book
market - which 1) drives the continuous worthless revisions, 2) makes it very
difficult for publishers to take a risk on a textbook with fundamentally new
ideas, and 3) make prices on textbooks so high that students often face huge
pressure to sell-back.

I'd love to stay updated on your work integrating 3D animations into electronic
textbooks. I recently initiated a group-project to write a textbook on
perception. One disadvantage that the Ecological approach to perception (which
I advocate) faces, is that it is very difficult to represent the concepts in 2
dimensional, still images - where as traditional approaches to perception lend
themselves quite well to such a presentation. Several people on the project
would be interested in trying to create a more interactive experience for the
students.

Eric

I'll mention that the smart physics textbook editor at Wiley, whom we

Eric Charles

Professional Student and
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Penn State University