In college, I had a tablet I would use often for note taking and
homework assignments, The few e-books I had greatly simplified the
homework process, as i could cut and paste homework problems and
diagrams from the book into my homework and mark them up.

I look forward to the day where e-text books are fully interactive,
where students could perform simulations, write codes, or write and
submit there homework within fields and figures in the book ( which
would ideally be done on a tablet with a stylus). I'm betting a
prototype of such a book could be made using CDF. Though, I think a
great deal of iteration would be needed to give the book a fluid feel
that would satisfy most textbook consumers.

Greg Sonnenfeld