OK.  It's good to have you respond directly to the physiology stuff.  Thanks.

Yes, I tried to respond to your causal model question.  My response is
basically that any causal analysis should target the parts on the "critical
path" ... the bottlenecks ... the "rate limiters" ... whatever your language.
In your example below, if happiness can be caused not only by the pill, but by
thousands of other things, yet the physiological process is common to it all,
then *that's* the important part, not whatever of the thousands of stimuli that
might have stimulated it.

And, yes, I admit that causality is often thought of in terms of time.  But
having struggled with parallelism and redundancy in my own thinking, time isn't
what determines cause.  The determinant is the limited resource ... the
bottleneck.  In biomedicine, it's the target of intervention.  Even if you
think that's a perversion of the word "cause", you should still be able to grok
my point.

--
☣ uǝlƃ