Well, since you're talking about sneezing, and because sneezing is a
physiological process, whatever model of cause we use will have to involve the
physiological process.  I'd claim that, if not identical, very close to the
exact same physiological process occurs in the body when you sneeze because you
have a cold vs. sneezing because you got some pepper up your nose.  So, the
model would have lots of possible input stimuli, go through a narrowing
(bottleneck) at the set of physiological behaviors that "mediates" -- to use
your word -- the sneeze, then the *effect* is high velocity/pressure air coming
out your nose/mouth.

We have to talk that way because we have common interventions like
antihistamines that don't really block the stimulus, they block part of the
physiology.  Or, if you prefer, I could refer to my method for blocking
sneezes, which is to put pressure on the bridge of my nose, which seems to have
something to do with blood flow.  The stimulant is (presumably) still there.
But the sneeze is blocked because I'm interfering with the physiology.

--
☣ uǝlƃ