Thanks, everybody, for your responses.

Most of them are way above my pay-grade, but watching you all work together is
inspiring, and I always, ALWAYS, get a rich harvest of crumbs off your table.
Back in old days, I did a brief visitorship at the Philadelphia Child Guidance
Clinic, toying with the idea of giving up ethology to be a family therapist.
They quickly sent me back home to academia, insisting that I would more good
for group therapy theory by pushing on as an ethologist.  I took that as a
compliment, at the time.  (}8-0]

A few years later, a clinical graduate student came to me and asked me to help
her think about the problem of “function” in the family therapy literature.  At
the time, Salvador Munichin, Jay Haley, and others were toying with the idea of
the Indicated Patient.  The notion was that every troubled family designates
one of its individuals to be the patient, and unites in support of that
person’s illness.  Because the family has a stake in the illness, the illness
cannot be cured without the whole family present.

This entailed the notion that the patient’s illness FUNCTIONED to hold the
family together.  The patient, and his/her illness were like an organ of the
body, or like a soldier ant in a colony, etc.  The patients served their
families and their families directed or regulated their service.  I thought it
was a fascinating theoretical problem, but the Department stopped hiring family
systems people, and that was the end of that.   Another lesson noted.

So here it is.  The problem of defining the system and what

it means for a system as a whole to cause changes in one of its components.  I
sent the graduate student off to find a simple, straightforward biological
model, and she never came back and was rumored to have had a nervous breakdown
and left graduate school.

Let that be a lesson to you.

Here is another example to chew on.  It is often said that young male baboons
serve as the patrols of a baboon troop, a kind of trip wire over which
attacking predators have to pass in order to attack the troop.  The mechanistic
explanation is that a young maturing male baboon is seen as a threat to the
dominant males and is kept away from the females (at the center of the troop)
by his betters.  He is certainly not a trip wire by choice; but is he so by
design?   Presumably his “trip-wire-ness” is a spandrel.  So, in what sense is
he functioning for anything?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University