Well, to be fair, Nick launched the thread with the meaning of "function" that
includes teleology. And Rosen's whole shtick is an attempt to address what it
means to leave purpose out of science.  But Rosen's formulation of anticipation
does identify the temporal part of construction.  And he does it in a cool way
by talking about how a system can "model" it's goal state ... so that vision of
the goal state kindasorta simulates reverse causation where the (expectation of
the) future guides the past.

I don't think that scaffolding relates to anticipation if it's created and
maintained by *others*.  Anticipation is a kind of self-scaffolding, maybe.

--
☣ uǝlƃ