Frank, Jon, John, etc.,

I wish you guys would look at Rosen.  I would be happy to loan you my copy.  In
Chapter 4, The Concept of State, he is arguing that assumptions deep in
Newtonian Mechanics preclude or constrain a discussion of biological
organization (let alone, a psychological one) leading to a fallacious sense of
reduceability.  His argument is mathematical, and involves assumptions built
into what he calls Newtonian “chronicles”, mathematical expressions that have
time of occurrence on the x axis and position, or velocity, or acceleration, or
… or etc. on the Y.  Something about the manner in which Newton sets this all
up is claimed to obscure organizational properties of systems.  Somehow, the
problem of organization is made to disappear.   Best I can do.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/>